The Village of Minoa is located east of Syracuse, NY with strong ties to the railroad industry. The Library was originally opened in 1935 at the initiative of Frank & Vienna Maxwell and local residents including an existing Book Club. The name Minoa Free Library was chosen at the time as the Trustees knew they had to depend solely on local government and private support. A public library has larger assets and may benefit more directly through state aid.
The problem of space was solved when Mayor William Costello (1927-1962) offered half of the small village office to the library. At that time the village office was located in a small room of the Fire Barn. Shelves and desks were built and contributed by Mr. Maxwell's high school shop classes. Local residents donated books. Although it was crowded from the beginning it stayed in that location for the next 23 years.
In 1937 Minoa Free Library received a Certificate of Registration from the University of the State of New York
In the spring of 1958, the Library was moved to the old Methodist Church Building on East Ave., purchased by George Rees and donated to the village. The sanctuary was designated for use by the Library. Open six days a week and holding various programs enhanced its offerings. Facilities were extended to the Minoa Elementary School since they had no room in the school building. The school librarian served part time in the village library, and librarians would go to school rooms carrying books on a cart.
Again, quickly outgrowing its facilities good news came from the
ES-M Board of Education in 1962: the Kindergarten building at
112 Willard St. was no longer needed as a school. After some renovations Minoa Library finally had an entire building to house
its collection, which in 1963 was more than 13,000 books. Circulation had more than doubled over the previous ten years to over 31,000.
An Absolute Charter from the University of the State of New York Education Department was granted in 1967.
When the new Village of Minoa Municipal Building was opened in 2005, the Library moved to its current location at 242 N. Main St., on the corner of East Ave.The Fire station anchors the Adams St. end, with Village Offices and public meeting spaces occupying the rest of the building. Parking is off East Ave.
We are a Suburban Member of the Onondaga
County Public Library system, which shares resources from all the OCPL branches and libraries in Onondaga County, greatly increasing what is available to our Patrons.
The Library owes its existence & success to the time & efforts of many volunteers. Thank you!
Library Directors: Minoa - Laura Ravera; Manlius - Jennifer Milligan; Fayetteville - Susan Considine
Jean Houseman, staff; Tom Carlin, Library Board Vice President; Laura Ravera, Director; Tracy Callahan, Library Board President; Bill Brazill, Minoa Mayor
Village of Minoa Municipal Building Minoa Free Library - Main St. view Minoa Free Library - East Ave. view
A fuller article on the History of Minoa Free Library up until the year 2000 can be found in the May 2000 Twelfth Edition of The Minoa Chronicle
available for $1.00 at the Library or Village Clerk's Office. Other historical information about the Library and the local area is also available for use
in the Library upon request at the Circulation Desk.